Volunteers are integral to our organization.
Bay Area Humane Society is always looking for dedicated volunteers. Volunteers help provide better lives for each and every single animal that comes through our doors. There are many different ways you can help out and not all of them have to be animal handling. We really do have something for everyone and we need your help!
Notes to consider before applying
- Due to the amount of training we require for our volunteer positions, we ask for a 6 month commitment of 2-3 hours each week (about 50 hours total).
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older. Children ages 5-17 can volunteer in limited positions and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for all volunteering. See Youth Opportunities for more information.
- Volunteers must be able to read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information as well as being able to remember and follow shelter rules.
- Volunteers must be able to understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently. If an individual cannot volunteer on your own, we may require that someone comes to assist.
- Volunteers must be able to physically fulfill the duties of their volunteer role. Most volunteer roles require volunteers to: be able to stand, and/or walk for up to 3 hours; be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. Some positions are more physically demanding than others.
- All new volunteers will be required to attend a Volunteer Orientation and purchase a Volunteer T-shirt ($10) to wear while volunteering.
- A background check is conducted on all applicants. Court-ordered community service applicants will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed admission into the volunteer program.
How to apply
- The first step to becoming a volunteer is to fill out a Volunteer Application. Due to the high volume of applications received it may take up to 14 days for your application to be approved.
- Once your application is approved, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you with details about the Volunteer Orientation.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 920-469-3110 x117 or Volunteer@bayareahumanesociety.com.