Volunteers are integral to our organization.
Bay Area Humane Society is always looking for dedicated volunteers. Volunteers help provide better lives for each and every single animal that comes through our doors. There are many different ways you can help out and not all of them have to be animal handling. We really do have something for everyone and we need your help!
Notes to consider before applying
- Due to the amount of training we require for our volunteer positions, we ask for a 6-month commitment of 2-3 hours each week (about 50 hours total).
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older. Children ages 5-17 can volunteer in limited positions and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for all volunteering. See Youth Opportunities for more information.
- Volunteers must be able to read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information as well as being able to remember and follow shelter rules.
- Volunteers must be able to understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently. If an individual cannot volunteer on your own, we may require that someone comes to assist.
- Volunteers must be able to physically fulfill the duties of their volunteer role. Most volunteer roles require volunteers to: be able to stand, and/or walk for up to 3 hours; be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. Some positions are more physically demanding than others.
- All new volunteers will be required to attend an informational meeting to learn more about the volunteer positions and their requirements.
- A background check is conducted on all applicants. Unfortunately, we do not accept court-ordered community service applicants.